OT: Slow booting, was re: Booting an IBM MP 3000 S/390 System

Antonio Carlini arcarlini at iee.org
Sat Aug 8 14:42:43 CDT 2015

On 07/08/15 19:35, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> I think that supermicro still has the specs for the board up:
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/archive/PentiumIII/440GX/P6DGE.cfm
>

> As you can see, it's pretty basic.  It's pretty hard to find
> reasonably fast boards with fully-functional ISA slots nowadays.

I think I have that mobo around somewhere!

The manual seems to be here:
http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/440GX/MNL-018.pdf

The only obvious things I can see are Quick Boot Enable (doesn't wait
for disks, doesn't test beyond 1MB of memory), On-Board SCSI (disable,
so it doesn't probe for SCSI disks).

Beyond that, I don't see any obvious options (unless you've got some
card plugged in that slows the whole thing down, but I don't think you
mentioned any such cards).

Antonio