Classic programming

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Aug 8 12:55:40 CDT 2015

On 08/08/2015 08:44 AM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
> If you like to play with classics like SNOBOL in their original
> form, then you can run SNOBOL and SPITBOL under the Hercules IBM
> mainframe emulator.

> http://www.snobol4.com/spitbol360/
>
> (These days I use Perl for the stuff I used to do in SNOBOL back
> when).

Technically, however, isn't the language "SNOBOL4", not "SNOBOL"?  At
least that's the way my bought-in-1968 black covered copy has it.  I've
tried it on a 360/40 and a CDC 6600 (even in 1968, there existed several
"ports' of it, including for the Univac 1108 and RCA Spectrola as well
as one for the Intel 8080 under CP/M.

As others have pointed out, there are better tools now.

Does the code from Bell Labs SNOBOL 1, 2, or 3 still exist anywhere?

--Chuck