SPARCClassic won't boot cdrom

Benjamin Huntsman BHuntsman at mail2.cu-portland.edu
Sat Aug 1 21:49:47 CDT 2015

Hi all!
   I recently acquired a SPARCclassic, which is my first bit of Sun hardware.  Having an awful time getting it to boot from the CD-ROM.  I have tried a bunch of different terminators and several different cables, but whenever I try to boot I get this:

ok boot cdrom -s
Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma at 4,8400000/esp at 4,8800000/sd at 6,0:d  File and args: -s
The SCSI bus is hung.  Perhaps an external device is turned off.

   Any ideas as to what might be wrong here?  The thing does not seem to send any commands to the CD-ROM, as the LED never comes on and I don't hear it doing anything...

Thanks!

-Ben