M9301-YB Bootstrap/Terminator ROM dumps / listings?

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Thu Apr 30 11:55:45 CDT 2015

On 2015-04-30 17:06, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Jorg Hoppe
>
>      >> Here's what I have so far:
>      >>    http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/pdp11/M9301-YA.mac
>
>      > Thanks for that effort!
>
> Eh, de nada. Interesting and educational.
>
>      > The M9312 code should be similar, at least it may expose some ideas
>
> Some parts of it (e.g. the CPU diagnostic) are mostly identical (and the
> comments there, particularly on the single-op register instructions, are
> useful to total understanding of that code in the M9301); but alas, I had
> already done that part of the M9301 (at least, at a surface level)!
>
> Much of the M9312 (including the functionality of most of what I had yet to
> read in the M9301) was quite different. I did manage to get the 'print
> number' code out of it, but that was pretty much it.

I thought I had seen the sources of the bootstrap code in some document.
Did I just imagine that?

I hope you also are aware that both the M9301 and the M9312 have
different boot roms for some machines. I know that the 11/70 use
different roms with other tests than other PDP-11s, and I seem to
remember that one or two others do as well. (The 11/60 keeps popping up
in my brain...)

> So I've done a lot of the remaining M9301-YA code (new version uploaded to
> location above); not the per-device code, I'll probably blow that off, but
> other than that, only a few tiny sections remain to be understood.

The per-device code are in separate PROMs that are used in both the 9301
and 9312. Those are the ones with the device code as constants in the
beginning of memory space for the PROM, by the way. (I seem to remember
someone mentioning this in the past.)

	Johnny