Saving my Mac SE/30. My first foray into SMD work

Ian Finder ian.finder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:53:58 CDT 2015

<snip>
> Still...I see a lot of people using SMD tantalum parts to replace SMD aluminum electrolytics, and after seeing so many of these SMD tantalums burned to a crisp after they developed internal shorts, I certainly wouldn't use them for general purpose bypass work. SMD solid polymers which do not exhibit that type of failure mode are readily available in the same case sizes (round cans) as the original aluminum electrolytics and are also available in the same case sizes as SMD tantalums. Not only that, but solid polymers are less expensive than tantalum parts.
</snip>

The trick to replacing the aluminum cans with Tantalums is to over-provision substantially on voltage. A tantalum will eventually react much more violently to transient spikes than an aluminum can, as such anomalies slowly degrade the oxide layer in the cap, eventually leading to thermal runaway.

A popular example are the 47uf 16v SMT cans that are common in Apple gear. People replace them with 16v tants but they should really be going up to about 25v.

If you leave adequate headroom in the voltage spec, you will typically not suffer this failure. Still agree that if you wanna be truly safe polymer is the way to go.

Cheers,

- Ian