CompuServe Drives: Custom firmware?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Apr 20 18:43:06 CDT 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015, Rich Alderson wrote:

>> additional? I have heard it supports some extra stuff.
>
> We'd have to look at the BOOT source (BOOT.MAC) for that.

Alright. I'll hunt for that.

> FDDI?  Not on the Toad-1, certainly.  Toad-1 systems comprise 4 board types:
> XKL-1 CPU, XNI-1 10baseT Ethernet, XRH-1 "FASTWIDE" differential SCSI-2, and
> XMG-1 32MW memory.  The XNI-1 looks to the monitor like 4x Cisco MEIS cards
> (derived from the Stanford interface of the same name), not a DEC NIA-20.

Thanks - that's a useful starting point.

> There are PDFs of the Toad-1 System Installation manual and the Toad-1
> Architecture Reference available via anonymous FTP from
> toad2a.livingcomputermuseum.org (change directory to PS:<DOCUMENTATION.TOAD>,
> ignore the warning about sending a password).  XKL did not ship monitor source
> with the system, nor was it available for purchase separately.

Ahh - unfortunate. :(

Thanks! That's helpful...except:

Remote system type is TOPS20.
Remember to set tenex mode when transferring binary files from this
machine.
cd ftp> cd PS:<DOCUMENTATION.TOAD>
331 Default name accepted. Send password to connect to it.
ftp> dir

421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed.
ftp>

BSD FTP clients disliking it?

--
Cory Smelosky