Hand-wired core for ROM?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Apr 11 01:30:11 CDT 2015

On 04/10/2015 11:07 PM, Brent Hilpert wrote:

> Having in common their era of popularity makes them similar to
> miniskirts and Andy Warhol. Suggesting they are similar just
> contributes to the confusion about them.
>
> They get confused because of the use of the word core in both, and
> they're of the same era, with the result that core rope is
> misunderstood to be just some minor variation on core RAM, for
> example as seems to have happened just now in the OP's thread in
> another forum, so I made the point of clarifying their distinction.

Let's also not forget that cores were used to implement pretty much all
logic in some computers. (e.g. NEC Parametrons, Univac Solid-state, an
early Cray military computer, etc.)

There, "solid state" did not mean transistors, which, at the time, were
still not reliable enough for prime-time.

--Chuck