Hand-wired core for ROM?

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Apr 10 10:32:00 CDT 2015

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Apr 10, 2015, at 10:38 AM, geneb <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> Did the PDP14 (or any machine of that era) ever use hand-threaded (by the end user) core boards as ROM?
>
> Do you mean DEC machine?

Yes.

> I don’t know any.  Certainly not any PDP-11; those used solid state
> ROMs, or in the early boot ROM cards, diode arrays.

I want to make sure it wasn't in use before I double-down on calling
shennanigans on "Joe" in this thread:
http://hackaday.com/2015/04/08/restoring-a-vintage-pdp-1104-computer/#comments

As far as I know, machines of that era used cores that were so small the
DEC hired master seamstresses (myth?) to make them.  It's certainly not
something that would be done in the field by John Q. Programmer.

If I'm wrong, I'll happily admit it, but it just doesn't sound reasonable.

Thanks!

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007