RD54 Stopped Spinning

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 4 04:55:23 CDT 2015

Tiffe
> Sent: 04 April 2015 10:00
> To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
> Subject: Re: RD54 Stopped Spinning
>
> Robert Jarratt wrote:

This is what is worrying me. I suspect this would be a very difficult
repair. I have enough bad RD54s that I suppose I could sacrifice one to work
out how to do it (if at all!).

> This is not the way to repair the drive.
> Try to find out if the Motor Coils are ok and connect a scope to the
phases to
> see what's going on after power up.

Is there a good resource on the theory so I can work out how it all works
and what to expect when I use a scope? Wikipedia has some stuff, but it is
all a bit theoretical.

> I've repaired several old disks with different failures and opended them
at
> home, but this isn't really what you want and you should avoid doning this
if
> possible. Some people say doing this in the kitchen a boiling put of water
> nearby is the best you can do to avoid dust ..

Nice idea, one to try!

Thanks

Rob