Wanted: ASM-48 for Intellec MDS-2

Dave Mabry dmabry at mich.com
Thu Apr 2 18:41:23 CDT 2015

Jay West wrote on 4/2/2015 6:18 PM:
> Dave wrote...
> ----
> I sold you an Intel MDS Series II probably about 15 years ago.  If that's the one you are talking about, it is either a model 220 or 225 (the 220 is 8080-based and the 225 is 8085-based).
>
> Have you fired it up?
> ----
> I thought it was Mabry :)
>
> Yep, it was fired up many times - I was focused on ISIS when I dug in to it. It hasn't been powered up in a while because it developed a problem with the CRT control board. When I looked in to it in a very cursory fashion, I found a note "intermittent crt control" :) So, it has sat on a shelf till I got some round-tuits. Matter of fact, I just got a junked (partially destroyed) MDS that I believe is the same model, so I could at least swap crt control boards to make sure it was the culprit and then debug from there.
>
> Thanks!

What is the symptom with the CRT?  I think that was the achilles heel of
the MDS.  It usually was the connectors on the cable to the CRT control
board.  Some of the pins carry too much current and the heat made them
go intermittent.  The other problem that I found was on the control
board inside of the CRT module.  It was usually cold solder joints and a
little touch up usually fixed it.