Tektronix 4014-1 troubleshooting advice

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:56:59 CDT 2015

On 3/30/15 12:08 AM, Simon Claessen wrote:
> we have a working 4002a in our museum and I always let it warm up with
> a completely illuminated screen for a minute or 5 before clearing the
> tube for the first time. that seems to do the trick.

I finished restoring the 4014's power supply this evening and as a few
of you suggested, leaving it to warm up for a few minutes seems to do
the trick; after 3-5 minutes the screen clears fully and everything
works as expected -- the stored characters stay crisp (they don't bloom
or fade) and the picture is nice and bright.  So that's good!  Probably
a few things are a bit out of tolerance, but I'll accept this behavior
rather than risk making things worse by trying to recalibrate it :).

Tomorrow (er, later today, I suppose) I'll actually hook it up to a
computer and throw some graphics at it...

Thanks all!
Josh