Whitechapel Computer Works MG-1

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Nov 30 17:29:05 CST 2014

On 11/30/2014 02:36 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

> The 16032 was later renamed the 32016, 32-bit architecture, 16-bit external
> bus.  They also had the 32032, full 32-bit external bus, lots faster.

The 16032 with graphics instructions addition (Bitblt) as the 32CG16
found some use in laser printers, also--Canon and Panasonic used it on
some of their models.

I called it the "whenever" chip.  Sometime around the time that the 68K
burst onto the scene, a couple of guys from NSC to give us a "preview"
of the 16-bit version.  Promising silicon the upcoming December (ISTR
that this was about March) and pre-production samples "Real Soon Now",
we had the next generation of systems designed and into production
before that came about a couple of years later.

Make no mistake, this was a remarkable design for the time,
architecturally speaking.  According to WikiP, the original intention
was to clone the VAX, but the legal challenge to DEC was abandoned.

I think that some avoided NSC when it came to MPUs--support wasn't what
it should have been, nor the marketing attention span.  NSC was fine as
a second-source for many things, but there was a certain reluctance, I
think, in the industry to use them as the prime source.

I think I've still got an 32CG16 rattling around in my "MPU
morgue"--PLCC package, if memory serves.

--Chuck