36bit still in use ?

Rich Alderson RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org
Sun Nov 30 14:11:19 CST 2014

From: Pontus Pihlgren
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2014 7:44 AM

> The system refered to above is visible next to the TOAD-1 in this video
> clip, arround 30 seconds in.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3BEaiz194

> I've know for a while that it's been a 36 bit machine under the hood but
> I was told that it is limited in some way, perhaps not a full pager. It
> would be fun to get some details. (And if you can get one for yourself
> of course).

I'm not aware of any architectural limitations to the Toad-2.  It may be
that the idea that it is limited in some arose from the fact that, like
any other general purpose CPU, it's not fast enough to be the routing engine
in the applications for which the DarkStar line is intended.

                                                                Rich

Rich Alderson
Vintage Computing Sr. Systems Engineer
Living Computer Museum
2245 1st Avenue S
Seattle, WA 98134

mailto:RichA at LivingComputerMuseum.org

http://www.LivingComputerMuseum.org/