KL-10B in DEC-20 [was RE: Who's rewired their house for this hobby?]

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Fri Nov 28 15:01:02 CST 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 01:37:07PM -0700, Eric Smith wrote:

> I've heard from a former field service engineer that some 2040 sites
> managed to buy cache modules as service spares, which was much less
> expensive than the official 2050 upgrade, and install them "when no
> one was looking". They had to either remove them before field service
> showed up, or have a field service engineer willing to look the other
> way.

Fun reading tonight :) Here is another story.

The computer science department at Uppsala University started
out with a 2020 and soon decided that they needed a bigger
machine. But getting a new computer required a decision from
higher up and was for one reason or another not easy to get.
However they were allowed to buy upgrades. So the ordered a 2060
"upgrade" for their 2020 and pursuaded digital to make sure all
paperwork only mentioned an upgrade. It was successful and when
upgrade day came they rolled the 2020 out and the 2060 in.

This story has only been told to me so might missed some detail.
And if I told it before :) sorry.

/P