Apple Network Server, Anyone seen one?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Thu Nov 27 10:54:56 CST 2014

On 11/27/14 8:39 AM, William Donzelli wrote:
> We had one kicking around ANS (the backbone people) while I was there
> in the late 1990s, but I never used it - it belonged to a different
> department. I do not know what happened to it.
>
> Good luck trying to pry one out of an Apple collector!

I know someone was talking at some point about getting one, and getting the
rom set that would let you boot MacOS on it (which I never even saw a copy
of). I only ever saw them in the server group development lab. There were all
sorts of weird things going on associated with Shiner, including a port of
portable Netware that never saw the light of day. The plastic "didn't quite
work in a rack" packaging was probably the most stupid thing about it. What
actually made it out the door was a scaled-down version of the original design.

An interesting bit of trivia was one of the main Shiner hardware guys (Dennis Yarak)
brother (Keith) was project lead on the XServe. They almost figured out how rack-mounted
equipment should be packaged on that. Dennis went over to portables and did a bunch of
the work on the G4 powerbooks onward.