Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Wed Nov 26 13:31:09 CST 2014

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 11/25/2014 11:06 PM, Holm Tiffe wrote:
>
> >Chuck you don't know better, so it is ok for you. That's all.
>
> Holm, I do bristle a bit at that one.  I've worked with industrial
> distribution as well as residential--there is a huge difference.  In the
> industrial world, motors dominate the workload--even in a high-tech
> office building, HVAC accounts for a very large portion of the
> electrical load.  In residential applications, the big consumption is
> from lighting and heating--although I wonder sometimes about the
> TV-crazy families.
>
> Cooking doesn't account for much in most households.  I have an
> induction cooktop installed, which is vastly more efficient that
> electrical resistance heating--and more controllable.  I asked my local
> utility if there was an energy credit available for that--the response
> was that cooking accounts for perhaps 2% of the average household energy
> budget, the choice of one over the other yields very little difference
> in the overall picture.   So trotting out the cooker as the prime
> example of efficient 3-phase use isn't really relevant.

Hmm..see Christians Mailing.
Ido have electrical Heaters here, in german called "Nachtspeicheröfen",
that means they get heated up in the night at lower electricals costs
(between 10pm and 6am) and buffer the head in some stones, over the day
a fan is working from a thermostate and is heating the rooms.
The oven in my living room has 4.2KW and another heater in the oven is
additionally able to heat with 2.2KW (this one is able to heat over the day
hours).

There are 5 other such ovens in my appartement with smaller power figures
(3KW It think).

Almost impossible in the US.

> To me, your argument is a matter of small degree.  How many household
> appliances do you own that are multiphase?  So we do the single-phase
> breakout before the final distribution transformer, Germany does it after.
>
> My vacuum cleaner isn't 3-phase and neither is yours.

You've not reading all my mails, don't you?
I already wrote that I actually have a big industry grade vacuum cleaner
with an 1.5 KW 3phase ansynchron motor and a zyklone.

>  Why aren't you
> distributing 120 Hz (or any other frequency)--transformers would be
> smaller, you know.  Both our transmission systems are 3-phase.

Oh, besides of my tube amps most devices I have have transformers for more
then 20Khz...

> As far as distribution voltages go, there's nothing to stop a homeowner
> from wiring all of his receptacles for 240V (it conforms to the National
> Electrical Code); the problem is that there would be little he could do
> with it, as most of our small appliances are constructed for 120V (or
> thereabouts).  But he can purchase 240V light bulbs, if that is my
> choice--it will cost more, as that's not the dominant standard here.

Again, I wrote the US schould have changed this long before now, then now
it is simply to late A to change that w/o gigantic costs.
That doesn't mean that I think that the US has a nice power distribution
network, from my sight (and not only my sight) this is stone age and there
is nothing that you could do to change that. :-)

> In fact, many, if not most small electronics here (TV, computers, etc.)
> use SMPSUs, so distribution voltage matters not a whit as far as they're
> concerned.

That's the same here and no criteria that really matters.
The power losses on conductor resistances are that what costs money..

> To me, it seems that this is a Lilliput-versus-Blefuscu argument.
>
> --Chuck

Sorry, who the f.. is Blefuscu?

Regards,

Holm