mainframes and other stuff

Göran Axelsson axelsson at acc.umu.se
Wed Nov 26 05:55:27 CST 2014

You got it right at the first time, the myth of 1+ g gold per ppro is
kept alive by eBay sellers that sells to less informed buyers.

PPros is closer to 1/3 of a gram Au per CPU (might vary up and down a
bit depending on which CPU / cache combo. Most of the gold is in the
bond wires and the solder holding the chips on place (a silicon-gold
braze ).
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=15269&hilit=pentium+pro#p154921

I'm a gold refiner / scrapper / classic computer collector, all on a
hobby basis, so my workshop is fast filling up with computers that I'm
not allowed to refine.
... there's some mixed feelings there.

:-D

Göran