Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 26 03:27:13 CST 2014

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014, Eric Smith wrote:
> Personally I prefer the British Type G (BS 1363) sockets
> and plugs, but I'm told that a lot of people dislike them.

Sure, you have a cute little device with a cute little eurocord, and at
its end: a monster boat anchor bigger than the device itself ;-)

> On the other hand, distributing three-phase to residences, while great
> for people with shop equipment or old computers, seems like expensive
> overkill for normal homes.

Not at all!
Ever heard of equally distributing the load over all phases? Your
electricity company will be grateful (as much as using PFCs).
Ever run a kitchen stove on single phase 16A (with all plates and the oven
on)? That's not fun.
And why would it be overkill if all the existing infrastructure already is
three-phase?
For comparison: in Germany, your residence is usually attached three-phase
with each 63A fused. Those phases are more or less equally distributed
over the rooms (with 16A circuit breakers) (plus three-phase devices like
the stove).

Christian