Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 01:51:48 CST 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Jon Elson <elson at pico-systems.com> wrote:
> At least, the KL10B power supply DID work reliably.  Our university didn't
> care about the power waste, but obviously it was a big problem for
> Compuserve.

The KL10 power supply could ride through at least two dropped AC line
cycles, thanks to the 3.9F capacitor box.  The nominal DC voltage was
about 11.2V IIRC, and the regulators needed about 2V of headroom, so
the machine could operate until the capacitors sagged by about 4V. Of
course, the linear power supplies effectively became more efficient as
the capacitors sagged.