Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Wed Nov 26 01:06:33 CST 2014

Chuck Guzis wrote:

> On 11/25/2014 12:17 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
>
> >On the other hand, distributing three-phase to residences, while great
> >for people with shop equipment or old computers, seems like expensive
> >overkill for normal homes.
>
> And expensive.  Copper isn't cheap and a 3-phase distribution
> transformer costs considerably more than a single-phase one--and
> provides very little advantage.

Maybe that's the case where you live, but nor here b'cause of production
volumes.
Where is the advantage of two thicker wires fingle phase against four
smaller ones? If you are happy with that was NA suppliers give to you
congatulations, but all others that know better must not be happy with
that.

> I'll submit that if your goal is phase-to-phase balancing, distributing
> single-phase to individual residences and then shifting the residences
> to one phase or the other is probably better in that respect.  In
> Germany, ordinary wall receptacles are single-phase, so depending on the
> homeowner to phase-balance his load is probably not the best policy.  On
> the other hand, doing the same for multi-residence (i.e. apartment
> blocks) does make sense.

As I wrote before: Do you really think over there that all people in
Countries that aren't part of the US are some sort of Idiots?
I'm a German, are German Engeneeers stupid too?

> The homes on my loop (each has its own single-phase stepdown
> transformer, but the loop itself is fed by 3-phase HV) are, every few
> years, rebalanced.  Each residence has a large green distribution box
> where the property line meets the street.  All three HV lines come into
> each box--re-balancing is just a matter of of swapping connections in
> the box.  Takes but a few minutes.

Nobody needs this...

All Power companies are doing the same here so nothing is "expensive", it
is the standard. And don#t tell me that the NA Power distribution with
small voltage single phase is economical in sight of the usage of copper...

> This may not be typical for the US, but my utility is a rural electric
> co-op, so there's less emphasis on profits and more on member benefits.
>
> --Chuck

Chuck you don't know better, so it is ok for you. That's all.

BTW: since someone talked about step donw trannies for power tools..
that's unkown here and not needed, with some exeptions:
There are step down isolated transformers with < 42V for special sensitive
environments. That is called "Schutzkleinspannung" or protective small
voltage. That is used where people can get in touch with the conductors
or in wet envirnonments...seldom used.

Regards,

Holm
  www.tsht.de, info at tsht.de, Fax +49 3731 74200, Mobil: 0172 8790 741