Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Mon Nov 24 21:46:14 CST 2014

On 11/24/2014 02:28 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> I wasn't aware that the KL needs 3-phase, but it might
> just be that the power supplies are large enough, and
> complicated enough, that you can't just rewire them.

The KL10B had an immense 3-phase transformer, star rectifier
and capacitor
bank, which produced about 12 V DC.  This was fed to a
massive linear regulator
on a huge round heat sink.  Compuserve ran a LOT of KL10B's,
and designed their
own switching power supplies to save power and air
conditioning costs.  They never
got DEC to pick up on that, so had to retrofit all the
machines as they came in.

Jon