Who's rewired their house for this hobby?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Nov 22 21:22:26 CST 2014

On 11/22/2014 03:13 PM, Holm Tiffe wrote:

> Hmm, I'm from germany and here it is pretty much normal to have 3phase
> 230V 50Hz power, at least in rural areas and newer installations in cities.
> Stadard here is 3x32A.

Well, 3-phase HV distribution is very common here, but transformers for
residential distribution are single-phase as a rule.    The distribution
on the utility easement on my property is 6600V 3-phase, but only two of
the wires are buried along my driveway to the transformer sitting on a
concrete pad in my front yard.  I can probably have all the single-phase
power that I want by changing out the transformer, but adding that third
wire for 3-phase would undoubtedly cost me substantially.

The model here is to distribute single-phase and balance the load by
connecting individual transformers to two of the three 3-phase lines.

--Chuck