IBM 5151 (MDA display) - common faults / gotchas?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 21:24:37 CST 2014

Tony,

Ok, then I guess I +really+ don't get it.

Why does the Zenith +need+ a horiz. osc. when it also requires the horiz.
input signal - which just happens to be at the exact same frequency
(15.7KHz) as the horiz. osc? What is the horiz. input used for, then, if
not to set the frequency of the 555 output?

The 555 acting as a monostable (aka one-shot) triggered by the horiz.
signal makes more sense.. I'm not saying that's the case, just that I can't
see why it would need be otherwise when a properly-clocked signal is
already provided for it. Then again, if it works the way I am presuming,
the 555 could maybe be replaced with a Schmitt trigger - eh?