PDP-11/23 Debugging

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Nov 8 21:04:05 CST 2014

On 11/08/2014 05:02 PM, Tothwolf wrote:

> It would have been hand soldered. Wirewrap pins can't be
> wave soldered since that would contaminate the gold or
> silver plated pins with solder (the solder would dissolve
> and strips the gold or silver from the pin).

No, I don't think so.  I think the PDP-11 backplanes were
mass-soldered in some way.
I have some real DEC and also some clone backplanes.  The
pins appear to be
pure tin plated, and the soldering is such that there's no
way it was done by
hand.  Possibly some very early backplanes might have been
hand soldered.
The early ones had no PC board, just the Winchester
connectors and wire-wrap
wires.  I've NEVER seen a DEC backplane with gold or
silver-plated pins.

Jon