PDP-11/23 Debugging

Ben Sinclair bensinc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 08:03:44 CST 2014

I've been working on getting a PDP-11/23 running for a while now, with
various amounts of success!

I had it in a state where I could boot XXDP from a virtual TU-58 and
everything seemed to work pretty well. I then got ambitious and got an RL02
and an RLV11 (M8013+M8014), and last night I tried to get the RLV11 to pass
the unconnected diagnostics that just test the controller.

I tinkered with it for a while, but never got it to work. Then, in between
trying a few things (but without touching the hardware), the machine seemed
to get very flaky. Right now I can still boot an XXDP tape image, but as
soon as I try to do anything it dumps me back to ODT:

NOT ENOUGH MEMORY TO BOOT XXDP-XM

BOOTING UP XXDP-SM SMALL MONITOR

XXDP-SM SMALL MONITOR - XXDP V2.6
REVISION: E0
BOOTED FROM DD0
28KW OF MEMORY
NON-UNIBUS SYSTEM

RESTART ADDRESS: 152010
TYPE "H" FOR HELP

.
150674
@

I tried removing the RLV11 boards, returning the machine to it's former
state, but I have the same issue.

I'm pretty new to all of this and always have trouble figuring out what the
next debugging step should be.

My machine is a PDP-11/23 with a H9273 backplane. I have, in this order
from the top: M8186, M8043, M8044DF, and an M8012 at the bottom.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

--
Ben Sinclair
ben at bensinclair.com