DEC printsets on line why not AFS

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Fri Dec 26 10:48:46 CST 2014

No, sure, sure, not knocking people who want to run AFS for fun or personal
interest... far from me to do that... just pointing out that, if the goal
is to make some file or set of files conveniently available to the largest
possible group, since AFS requires a dedicated client and a teensy bit of
clueful configuration, I'm not sure how many takers you'll get. If you want
to toss some files in your cell and anyone else on the list who has AFS can
grab then, that's cool, but putting that file up on the Web or FTP is going
to really broaden that set of people who can just grab the file quickly.

Why not DECnet? Why not put it up on a dial-up BBS and we can download it
via Xmodem? :) No technology hate here, just speaking from a practical
point of view. I really loved being an AFS admin but I did a lot a lot of
end user support with the client, too, LOL.

Best,

Sean