Wanted: SIMH VAX VMS tape image tester, take 2

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Sat Dec 20 13:39:32 CST 2014

On 12/20/14 11:19 AM, jwsmobile wrote:

> Maybe the TAPEINFO and some magic tag should be the very last bytes of a tape image which has meta data, and an index in how much crap is at the end of the tape for metadata also is included in that
> appended bit.
>
> Then you just seek to end of file, look for the marker, then back up by the length of the meta data to establish the end of the dataset.

I think what Chuck did by wrapping it in a normal tape block would work as well, other than which convention of block rounding
does it follow.
I'm trying to find the email exchange I had with Bob about the flag records that he added. I think I was confused about what they
actually mean. I need to look to see what the last longword of a SIMH .tap actually is. I would think it would be the physical EOT
longword.

Another rathole we can go down is what happens when you want to add more metadata. Do you checksum the tape image separately?