OT : Chassis punches

Charles Dickman chd at chdickman.com
Tue Dec 16 11:03:13 CST 2014

We use Greenlee punches on our assembly floor at work. When I worked out
there one summer during a strike I punched a lot of holes. Usually for
small (1/2, 3/4, 1in conduit) stuff I used the  bolt and bearing. I didn't
use the hydraulic accessory until it was 3in or 4in. Sometimes I had to use
multiple punches to get a hole big enough for the larger bolts. Step drill
to get a rough hole for the smaller punch bolt and then use a punch big
enough for the next bolt.

They usually went through easily as long as the punch was sharp. Its the
initial cut that is hardest to get once the point is through it just slices
easily.

Chuck
Engineer and one time electrical panel builder/strike breaker