"Premium" ebooks, anyone? - was Re: OT: Physical Book Prices

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Dec 16 08:30:59 CST 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 03:58:44PM -0600, Joseph Lenox wrote:
> For a partial solution to library management, there's Calibre (
> calibre-ebook.com). It's free.

It's also a massive pile of crap that makes iTunes look good.  The only good
use-case for it is pretty much to use it as an iTunes-alike for sideloading
data onto a Kindle.

> The poor random access is a pain, and usually why I don't use eBooks for
> technical works (or anything where it's helpful to be able to flip around in
> the text).

MacOS's Preview.app is actually a pretty goof PDF renderer, and will open
multiple files side-by-side, but not the same file twice. Apple-[ works in a
similar manner to a browser back button, so can be used to return to the
table-of-contents, index, or other cross-reference I've followed.  Sadly, I
don't have anything that will display ePubs since my iPad took a coffee bath,
but fortunately I have limited content in that format.