OT : Chassis punches

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 15:19:42 CST 2014

In my experience, Greenlee is the industrial standard for metal punches. As
duly noted, they are not cheap but of excellent quality - and will last a
typical user's lifetime.

As for the Quick-Draw device, if you think about it, I really cannot
increase the maximum force / material thickness that the punch can work.
Whether the punch is driven manually or automatically, the weakest link in
the chain is the same - the tensile strength of the threaded portion of the
drawbolt.

However, it would reduce one of the major wear points, which is the
threaded connection between the die & drawbolt. With the hydraulic device,
you no longer need to drive the thread to develop the pulling force - the
hydraulic piston develops that force for you, so no need to drive the
thread. But in my experience, I suspect that the cutting edges of the die
would dull before threadwear became a point of concern.

If you want to speed-up the operation, drive the punch through with an
impact wrench once you've got it properly started.