OT : Chassis punches

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Dec 15 14:44:26 CST 2014

On 12/15/2014 12:32 PM, tony duell wrote:

> And anyway, I am specifically looking at the D connector ones (amongst
> others). I certainly want DB and DD but the other 3 (DA, DC, DE) are
> being considered too..

I'm curious if anyone has tried using a big router with a carbide or
diamond bit and a template to do the odd shapes.  Of course, the
advantage of punches is that a smooth edge is the result.

I recall that the model shop guy at one location where I worked didn't
fool with Greenlee--he said that they were probably fine for field work,
but he relied on his Pexto punches (now part of Roper-Whitney) to do
that sort of thing in the shop.  I suspect you'll find a Pexto or close
relative in most sheet-metal fab shops.

--Chuck