Help with a busted MSV11-L?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Dec 7 07:38:50 CST 2014

PS: When buying replacement chips, since many are NOS, which manufacturers
should be avoided, and which are good? I recall there was some discussion on
here a while back about the topic of which vendors seemed to have the most
problems with chips failing, but I can't find it (and a bit of Google
searching couldn't turn up anything on the topic - all my searches turned up
too much other stuff).

And should I always install the replacements in sockets, or is it OK to just
go ahead and solder them straight in? (The socket obviously doesn't cost
much, and I'm less likely to damage the chip installing it like that, and of
course if I get it in and it's U/S, it's easy to swap out from a socket, but
I'm wondering if the use of a socket has any downside, electrically.)

Again, thanks for any advice (and I won't be surprised if the last starts
the usual debate... :-)

	Noel