The 9406-270 - OS and Other Products Installed

Kevin Monceaux Kevin at RawFedDogs.net
Fri Dec 5 22:44:15 CST 2014

Classic Computer Fans,

I made it through an i5 OS install on my 9406-270 plus installed various
products.  I haven't done much past that other than switching the QCTLSBSD
system value from QBASE to QCTL and performing an IPL.  I'm now able to
perform an unattended IPL and get from power on to a sign-on screen in just
under nine minutes.

Only one drive came up to choose from during the install process so
everything is installed on it.  A WRKDSKSTS shows drive 1 at 33% and drive 0
unused.  Is it possible to add drive 0 to the system at this point?

I'm not sure where to go from here.  Some of the things I can think of that
I'm sure need to be done at some point:

    - Learn how to apply PTFs
    - Create some user profiles
    - Configure and start TCP/IP
    - Explore backup options in case I have to reinstall or restore every 69
      days.  I'd be surprised if the internal tape drive is functional.
    - Learn all kinds of things I haven't even heard of yet

And I'm sure the list goes on and on.  I'm open to suggestions.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.