Typesafety versus Worse is Better - was Re: Fwd: is there any word processing software for the pdp11?

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 22:05:38 CST 2014

On 12/3/2014 6:45 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> 40 years ago would never dream of doing since they would be thinking
> of how this translates into machine code much more.
>
> So in the end, with people getting less proper education, a stricter
> language is our only hope.  But for people who are good at
> programming, the obstacles of stricter languages becomes annoying and
> reduces productivity, for much less gain.

I've not found this to be true in my experience -- what "obstacles" are
you speaking of?

> In the end, no one size fits all.

Agreed, but not for the reason you use above; if I'm reading your
statement right your sizes are: "C: for people who are good at
programming" and "stricter languages: for people who need help."  No one
size fits all in that some languages are suitable for certain tasks, and
some are more suitable for others.  The discussion here is mainly that C
is applied in many areas where it is not the best choice.

- Josh