C, please die,

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Wed Dec 3 18:02:27 CST 2014

On 12/3/2014 2:57 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 12/03/2014 01:42 PM, Dave G4UGM wrote:
>
>> Many years ago when I was a Honeywell L66 GCOS systems programmer I
>> was on a course for a new release of GCOS....
>> ...Around the time there was an "Issue" with WWMCCS reportedly become
>> close to launching an attack without proper authority....
>> Those of us on the course, who were having issues getting work run on
>> GCOS, which was , we were told the core of WWMCCS at the time were
>> somewhat disbelieving..
>> .. we said it couldn't happen. Some bright spark said even they want
>> to they can't, the Secret Service will wake the President, and he
>> will log into WWMCCS and type "Launch Missiles" and it would respond
>>   "Thank you Mr. President, your job is at position 9 in queue
>> .bang1, estimated time for execution 1 day 4 hours..."
>
> Hmmm, that probably explains the "100 usec. guaranteed response time."
> points in the RFPs we got at CDC...
>
> --Chuck

Or if you were on Multics, you could get the console messages in Latin
courtesy of a bored programmer.

We had a processor that could run both Multics and Gcos concurrently, on
the 6180.  I don't think they did much with GCOS, however, other than to
run some Cobol compiles for some classes taught at the university where
we were located.  I don't know how the system and console side was
managed.  The physical GE Terminet console was owned by Multics.  I
don't know if there was a separate real or a virtual console for the
GCOS system.

JIm