Typesafety versus Worse is Better - was Re: Fwd: is there any word processing software for the pdp11?

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 17:47:55 CST 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Sean Caron <scaron at umich.edu> wrote:
> Clearly you're on a religious crusade here.. I just don't buy the line that
> were it not for everyone using this pesky C language, we could live in this
> mythical world where exploits don't exist...

If you use a language in which buffer overruns can't occur, and will
either trigger exception handling or abort the program, then almost
all circumstances that are privilege escalation or information
disclosure due to buffer overruns in C or C++ program become at worst
denial of service. I'm not arguing that we don't need to be concerned
with DoS vulnerabilities, but that they are far less severe.

So if simply by programming in a different language you can
substantially reduce the severity of an entire class of bugs, why
wouldn't you do it?

I haven't tried to count them, but it seems like a very large number
of tracked vulnerabilities are due to buffer overruns and related
problems that fall into this category.

> You must be a professional programmer?

Yes.

> Certainly you have strong ideas of what's right and what's wrong in programming practice...

Yes.

> but I feel like you are faulting the
> language here while giving what are essentially (sorry, strong language)
> hack programmers a pass...

That's the argument that only if programmers were smarter or more
disciplined, these problems wouldn't occur. That's a nice hypothesis,
but I don't buy it, because software written by some of the world's
smartest and most disciplined C and C++ programmers still routinely
exhibit these problems.

Programming is *hard*, and debugging is even *harder*. If you can use
a tool that doesn't help much, or a different tool that helps more,
why would you want to stick with the less helpful tool?

> Why should it be the responsibility of the language to save programmers from themselves?

Why should a table saw have a finger guard?

In the case of the table saw, having a safety feature is even less
important than in a programming language. With an unsafe table saw,
I'm likely to only cause harm to myself. With an unsafe programming
language, a programmer can cause problems for literally billions of
people (e.g., exploits of bugs in Windows, MacOS, Linux).

I'm not arguing that the language should totally disallow doing
anything it thinks is questionable.  I'm arguing that it should by
*default* disable doing such things, and require the programmer to
take explicit action to circumvent the normal checking when there's a
good reason to do so.  (On the other hand, I think most programmers
are too willing to jump to the conclusion that such is necessary,
without spending enough time analyzing the real problem.)