List memberships and duplicates [was Re: Yay, now I need some Osborne boot media!]

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Dec 2 14:04:48 CST 2014

Somebody wrote (probably me):

>>    > 2) All cctech subscribers are experiencing it and very few find it a
>>    > problem.
>>    > or
>>    > 2) All cctech subscribers are experiencing it and there are very few
>>    > people subscribed to cctech!
>>
>>I rather suspect it's 2B...: -)
>>

>2B or not 2B, that is the question :-)
>
>If it is 2B then the moderators were going to a lot of trouble for the benefit
>of very few and since the reincarnation, they have been completely wasting
>their time :-(
>

>>    > So, I subscribed to cctalk (with the same address I use for cctech
>>    > which on reflection may not have been a good idea)
>>
>>I think you've hit the nail on the head...
>>

>I'll try a different address then.

So here's what I did.

I created a new email address at my end and subscribed it to cctech.
It behaved just like my old email address ie it got two copies of most emails,
one from the cctalk list and one a bit later from the cctech list after
approval by the moderator.

Anyone who has been following along may recall that my old email address was
originally subscribed to cctech, I had tried to unsubscribe it from cctalk in
an attempt to eliminate the duplicates but this didn't work as it was not
subscribed. I then tried subscribing it to cctalk which seemed to work but
made no visible impact on what mail arrived - things went on as before.

Now I tried unsubscribing the old address from cctalk, expecting this to make
no difference.  It did make a difference.  The unsubscribe was successful and
the old address stopped receiving any mail from either list!

More confused than ever, I unsubscribed both the old and the new addresses
from cctech (successfully in both cases) leaving nothing here subscribed to
anything and then subscribed the new address to cctalk.  Now the new address
is receiving one copy only of each email, from the cctalk list only ie no
duplicates.

Except for this one message which came in from both lists and unusually arrived
in from cctech first... Right now I'm ignoring it and hoping it will go away :-)
At least it's a lot less than nearly every mail duplicated.

Is there anyone out there who is subscribed to cctech and not getting most
mails duplicated?  If not, the moderators might as well take a break and
stop approving stuff until the problem is fixed.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.