MaxSpeed VGA MaxStation

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Wed Mar 24 22:49:59 CDT 2021

> So, some months ago, I was in an electronics surplus store and picked
> up what was obviously an X terminal - tiny metal slab with a VGA
> connector, serial & parallel, AT keyboard, and RJ45 "communication"
> port. [...]
> To throw an extra mysterious wrinkle into this, when I popped open the
> case to get a look at the PCB, I found that, apart from the CPU, DART,
> and ROM, the only non-glue ICs on the board were an 8K SRAM and a
> W82C476 RAMDAC - but 8K isn't even remotely enough for a VGA screen,
> not even a monochrome one at VGA resolution! Am I missing something on
> how these things operated?

It might be text only. There's a mention in InfoWorld 11/18/91: "Maxspeed
corp. has introduced a controller to connect a 386 or 486 running a
multiuser operating system to eight of the company's MaxStation base units.
The $1,495 SH-8 MaxStation Controller is scheduled to ship at the end
of this month." From that era it could simply be 80x25.

-- If you're not very clever, you should be conciliatory. -- Benjamin Disraeli