TC08 DECtape bootloader question

Rick Murphy rick at rickmurphy.net
Sun Mar 21 17:06:50 CDT 2021

On 3/21/2021 10:05 AM, Kyle Owen via cctalk wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2021, 09:35 Rick Murphy via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> You have to read the bootstrap code in the TC0x driver to understand this.
>>
> I agree with your assessments, but I'm referring to the first stage
> bootloader: either your toggle-in or MI8E-based ROM bootstrap. In the case
> of that, the PDP-8 is in a spin loop waiting for the first load of block 0
> into 07600; the rest of the bootstrap in the driver isn't yet loaded in
> core.

The instruction that's waiting on the done bit to be set is overwritten
with a NOP while the bootstrap is being read.  This is common for
bootstraps: minimal user-entered code that gets overwritten by the boot
when it's being loaded into memory.

> But you did answer the question that was bugging me, and that's the end
> error flag getting set at the end of a block in single read mode. Nice,
> thank you!
>
> I'm still a bit suspicious of the handling of WC overflow in SimH, even
> though, as you point out, it does not matter here. The difference it makes
> for the toggle-in boot process is whether or not it loads unnecessary code
> at 1, after WC and CA both are overwritten with zeros. Either way, the
> first read will terminate, but with default SimH behavior, the read
> terminates early, after writing a zero to WC.
>
> In the 3-cycle break, WC is incremented in the first cycle. If a carry was
> generated, the WC overflow flop is set. CA is incremented in the second
> cycle. The actual data transfer happens in the third. Hence, overwriting
> either WC or CA cannot affect either until the following cycle. So, writing
> a zero to WC should not cause an overflow until 4096 breaks later.
>
> Am I looking at this correctly?

You have to read the code to understand this. :)

The setting of the WC to zero happens in the code I posted.

"BOOT3", after the first read is completed into field 1 (skip loop just
above BOOT3) to read block 1 into memory starting at 7600. It deposits
7577 (7600 minus 1) into the address field (7755) and zero into WC
(7754) because the DCA of the address pointer zeroed the AC.  Once block
1 is read in, the boot jumps to OS/8 (7605 in field 0).

     -Rick