Spelunking the places where files are not

Boris Gimbarzevsky boris at summitclinic.com
Fri Mar 5 15:11:45 CST 2021

Recovering data from disks was a lot easier 30 years ago when most
filesystems had contiguous files and it was just a matter of finding
file boundaries.  Was very glad of this when accidentally wiped first
200 blocks of an RT-11 RK05 and just had to write a FORTRAN program
to copy blocks of data and assign the files names.  Also wrote a
program to do a disk scan to look for specific file type and like to
show people what jpeg files they've left behind on a disk they've
"wiped".  Finding images very easy as can display a list of many
image icons on screen and quickly scroll through them if one is
looking far a particular image.  Of course, the longer a hard disk
has been used and not defragmented, the lower the recovery percentage
of files.  Got paid for file recovery a few times but mainly use it
to show people what really happens when they "wipe" a disk.  Have
convinced a lot of people that low level format on a disk they're
giving away a good idea.