Bendix G-15 and Control Data 160 console on ebay

Van Snyder van.snyder at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 6 14:47:08 CST 2021

On Wed, 2021-01-06 at 08:30 +0000, P Gebhardt via cctalk wrote:
> If anybody of you has been looking for a Bendix System or a CDC 160
> console and has deep pockets: That's your opportunity ;)
> ebay numbers 203239156838 and 203239181341
> Not affiliated with the seller. Just saw the listings - can't believe
> that such cool systems are still stored in some warehouses in the
> U.S. for business purposes ...

In the G15 programming manual at
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bendix/g-15/G15D_Programmers_Ref_Man.pdf
, there's a remark about sexagesimal digits.
The manual says "usually hex in conversation because nobody wants to
abbreviate sex."
"The symbols in the sexagesimal language are u, v, w, x, y and z. These
are arbitrary markings; other computers may use different alphabetic
characters for these last six digits."
We're all familiar with A-F. The Illiac-I used KSNJFL because the input
device was a 5-bit Baudot-code teletype, and in "figs" mode they
produced those six binary patterns.
There were two mnemonics to remember those digits.
King Size Numbers Just For LaughsKind Souls Never Jostle Fat Ladies