Digitalker 54104 IC

Henk Gooijen henk.gooijen at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 13 14:43:20 CST 2021

I know the SP0256-AL2 (it is a zero not an “ooo”).
That chip is a phoneme generator and it was described in a BYTE issue.
It has (IIRC) 6 “data” inputs to select one of the 64 stored phonemes,
and a strobe signal. Depending on the suffix (here “-AL2”) it contains
certain phonemes and can co-operate with external premanufactured
Speech ROMs. You can google for more info on the SP0256-AL2.
The “-AL2” was the generic phoneme chip, I used it in my StarShip back
In theearly ’90-ties. *very* robotic speech 😊
Note that the chips needs an external Xtal of somewhat odd frequency,
but I think it will work with an Xtal of (again IIRC) 3.2 MHz.