One more thing to fix... HP9000/380 power supply

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:12:44 CST 2021

On 2021-02-11 10:55 p.m., Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez via cctalk wrote:

> This decade seems to have increased the number of failing things in
> such a way that the "to be repaired" backlog is growing much faster
> than I can get to diminish it. Argh.  A month ago my trusty HP9000/380
> ran just fine and I booted the different OS's in the SCSI and HPIB
> drives connected to it (this particular machine is interesting because
> the 9000/300 port of NetBSD was partly developed in it: it was Mike
> Wolfson's). Yesterday, it failed to turn on; the power supply is
> dead.  So I unracked the pile of drives and the computer, checked for
> obvious things (the fuse is fine, and nothing in the power supply is
> swelled up or leaking, or browned by heat; visually, it looks new; the
> HV caps seem to hold a charge).  I need the schematics for the power
> supply (at least the output connector; I can work my way back from
> that)  and also those for the backplane in this hp9000/380.  A
> preliminary search at bitsavers and elsewhere did not help.  Does
> anybody have these?
>
> In the meantime, I finally improved the mainboard (had the parts for a
> long while) from a 380 to a 385 by changing the clock generator, and
> replacing the 68040RC25 with an RC33.
>
> I ran this machine as a web server continuously for ten years in the
> 2000's, totally exposed.  Many tried to hack it... and failed. Another
> personal connection to this architecture is that I used Apollos and
> hp9000/300 at UW-Madison back in 1989-91.  Boy, did I crunch numbers...
>
> carlos.

I have never seen any schematics for this power supply however on
bitsavers there is a document related to the expander that shows the
power supply pinout.
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/9000_300/specs/A-98568-66501-4_98568A_Schematic_Notes_Jun85.pdf
This would be the same power supply as the processor box. Also
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/hp/9000_300/specs/A-98561-66501-4_98561AB_Schematic_Notes_Jun85.pdf

Paul.