Reading ESDI disks

Nigel Johnson nw.johnson at ieee.org
Thu Feb 11 11:33:50 CST 2021

I'm about to try the very same thing.

I have a MicroVAX II with a sigma MSCP ESDI controller.  It can be set
for soft-secoring or various numbers of hard sectors.  That is what I
see is the big issue with these drives.

A friend gave me two drives that had been written on a PC under *nix.

I do have some cable problems which I have to work on, but my first
power-up revealed one of the drives and said it recognised the fact that
it had 36 sectors. However when I tried to read it, it hung.  More
experimentation needed, but I am sure if the controller will read the
blocks I will be able to extract an image to send to my friend to decode :-)

let's exchange notes as we proceed.  My effort is inter-twined with
various other actoivities so I can't say when.

cheers,

Nigel

Nigel Johnson, MSc., MIEEE, MCSE VE3ID/G4AJQ/VA3MCU
Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!
Skype:  TILBURY2591 nw.johnson at ieee.org