Flip-Chip selloff

Tom Uban tom at figureeightbrewing.com
Wed Feb 3 08:14:44 CST 2021

I suspect many of us are in similar situations. I have been collecting and storing
my treasures for about 35 years. I even recently moved it all into one nice climate
controlled space. (It has mostly all been in climate controlled space, but now it
is all in the same space with room to work on it.)

At this point in my life, reviewing how much time I have been able to find in the
previous years to play with my hoard, I am realizing that I have way more than I
will ever be able to enjoy. Then I consider that the others like me are also coming
to a similar conclusion and as a result there is likely lots of equipment looking
for homes other than the scrap heap.

With museums that seemed like they were funded and safe for the foreseeable
future closing with uncertain ends, I worry (just as others) that we are the only
ones who will be the custodians of these wondrous marvels of human genius.
As those who understand and care for such marvels pass, the number of people
who care also dwindle.

I've come to realize that perhaps it isn't just the theory that I might one day be
able to retire and enjoy keeping my mind engaged with tasks of restoring old
PDP-11s to their former glory, but that the 35 years of collecting and storing
might lead to a younger generation's wonder in seeing what led to the technology
they have at present. Perhaps they don't care and all is for not...