Notes on HP3000 WCS Microcode, Series 37 on ebay in Germany

Lee Courtney leec2124 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 10:19:00 CDT 2020

"Was Lee Courtney involved with the APL 3000 project?" - unfortunately no I
was not. Just RTE on the 1000 and later MPE on PA-RISC. All I know is that
there was microcode support required to run APL on Series II/III
micro-architecture machines. That microcode was not moved to later
micro-architectures (Series 3x, 4x, 6x, 7x) so there was no APL available.
I don't think HP had enough customers using APL to justify the effort. Too
bad because was an innovative APL.

Stan Sieler et al are trying to get APL\3000 up and running on an emulated
3000 via SIMH. He's CC'd here and can comment.

Al - it would be a Very Good Thing to get those APL ROMS dumped when
possible.

Lee Courtney

--
Lee Courtney