Brittle plastic

Rico Pajarola rp at servium.ch
Wed Sep 2 14:02:16 CDT 2020

I have a friend who is a Materials Science Technologist and specializes in
injection molded plastics. So... basically the same thing that's in
computer cases (even though he doesn't deal with computer cases). I grilled
him at length on this topic, and he insisted that the brittleness with age
(and UV light) is expected and irreversible. Basically, the plastic
softeners are off-gassing, and there's no way to put them back in.

I'm still hoping for a happier second opinion, though I'm not holding my
breath.

In my experience, brittleness varies wildly and goes from "no big deal" to
"crumbles if you blow at it", even for otherwise identical machines. I
recently acquired a Japanese Ultra 1 clone, and the back was smashed in
shipping, and crumbled into a thousand pieces not even large enough to glue
back together. Luckily the front only had a single crack that could be
glued back together.