Toaster Flyer - proprietary drives?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 11:17:09 CDT 2020

I've been talking to the guy in NYC who has the storage portion of what
appears to have been part of a Toaster Flyer setup (I forget who, but
someone on the list forwarded details a few months ago) - two 5.25"
full-height SCSI drives, a 3.5" SCSI drive, passive ISA backplane, and some
form of TBC card (made by DPS).

I'm not sure who made the 3.5" drive, but the two FH ones appear to be 9GB
Seagate Elites (I'm assuming they were the two video stores, and the 3.5"
was for audio).

The big question is whether in a Flyer environment the drives run custom
microcode or will have been LLFed to something other than a "standard" 512
byte block size - I believe that the Flyer was really pushing the
boundaries of what was possible when it was current, and the majority of
drives on the market just didn't have the necessary throughput (I see a
"Newtek approved" sticker on one of the Seagates). I know that the storage
was considered "proprietary", but I don't know if that just means that the
filesystem was Flyer-specific (i.e. not AFFS), or if there was more to it
than that.

cheers

Jules