Control Data 449 Special Miniature Computer from 1967?

steven at malikoff.com steven at malikoff.com
Fri Oct 16 20:01:10 CDT 2020

> That is way smaller than the AGS.
> Dwight
>
> ________________________________

Thanks for the comments everyone. That article, it's a good take on the origins of the minicomputer term.
I could well imagine the editors of Datamation, upon hearing CD's term 'miniature computer' shortening it to
'mini-computer' for a snappier title for their 449 article.

Also you're probably right about the intended use as a missile controller, the limited instruction set shown
would have been adequate for that purpose at the time. I suppose I saw 'aerospace' and thought such a complex
(for its physical size) machine would have been the preserve of spaceflight applications.

Now this has just got me perusing old issues of Datamation  ...some amazing forgotten pieces of technology to
be found in there, like the Magnyx 4' x 3' flat panel magnetic non-volatile display from 1969. Wow!