Firing up the pdt11

Chris Zach cz at alembic.crystel.com
Sun Oct 11 20:14:05 CDT 2020

Well, by "location" I mean there are plugs on the controller board for
PD0 (typically called the "top" drive) and PD1 (typically the "bottom"
drive). My test swapped the cables so the top drive was using the PD1:
logic on the board and the "bottom" was using the PD0 logic. In that
situation the PD1: channel with the top drive worked so the problem is
not in the logic board.

However I may have figured out a clue: When I try to boot the pdt11 on
the good drive (now PD0: again) with the door open the drive makes a
quick BRAAP noise in the head positioning motor and it fails. It does
not drop the head pad servo. When I close the door the drive clicks in
the servo and boots away.

However on the bottom drive it always does the BRAAP regardless if the
door is open or closed. So I looked at the spare 8 inch drive: There is
no "disk present" switch or anything but there *IS* the sector lamp and
CDS cell. So the big question:

Maybe the RX01/PD logic looks for the sector pulse signal to determine
if a disk is in the drive? That would explain how the controller "knows"
there is no disk.

And a bigger question: Is that an LED or a light bulb that lights up the
sector pulse CDS cell (I can see the detector is a CDS, I recognize
those from my 150-in-one Tandy days). If so maybe it burns out?